What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which a website may put on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a site or page. The cookie will help the website, or another website, to recognise your device the next time you visit.
There are many functions that cookies serve. E.g. they help us to remember your username and preferences, analyse how well our website is performing, or allow us to recommend content we believe will be most relevant to you.
Certain cookies contain personal information â€“ for example, if you click to â€œremember meâ€ when logging in, a cookie will store your username. Most cookies wonâ€™t collect information that identifies you, and will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use our websites, or a userâ€™s general location.
What sort of cookies do we use?
1.Â Essential cookies
Some cookies are essential for the operation of our website. For example, some cookies allow us to identify registered users and ensure they can access the secure pages. If a registered user opts to disable these cookies, the user will not be able to access these pages.
2.Â Performance Cookies
We use other cookies to analyse how our visitors use our websites and to monitor website performance. E.g. we use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
Can a website user block cookies?
Yes, but as weâ€™ve explained above, cookies help you to get the most from our website.
If you do wish to disable our cookies then please see the instructions on ourÂ How to manage cookiesÂ below.
Please remember that if you do choose to disable cookies, you may find that certain sections of our website do not work properly
How to manage cookies
- Click on theÂ ToolsÂ icon on the browser
- Then selectÂ Options
- Click theÂ Under the HoodÂ tab from the left hand menu
- In theÂ PrivacyÂ section, select theÂ Content settingsÂ button
- ToÂ enableÂ cookies: selectÂ Allow local data to be setÂ option
- ToÂ disableÂ cookies: selectÂ Block all cookiesÂ option
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Click onÂ ToolsÂ at the top of your browser window
- SelectÂ Internet Options
- In the options window navigate to theÂ PrivacyÂ tab
- ToÂ enableÂ cookies: Set the slider toÂ MediumÂ or below
- ToÂ disableÂ cookies: Move the slider to the top to block all cookies
- Click onÂ ToolsÂ at the browser menu
- SelectÂ Options
- Select theÂ PrivacyÂ panel
- ToÂ enableÂ cookies, checkÂ Accept cookies for sites
- ToÂ disableÂ cookies, uncheckÂ Accept cookies for sites
Safari on MAC OSX
- Click onÂ SafariÂ at the menu bar
- Select theÂ PreferencesÂ option
- Click onÂ Security
- ToÂ enableÂ cookies: In theÂ Accept cookiesÂ section selectÂ Only from site you navigate to
- ToÂ disableÂ cookies: In theÂ Accept cookiesÂ section selectÂ Never
All other browsers
Please select theÂ HelpÂ function in the browser or contact the browser provider.